Monday, December 21, 2009

Autolycus Joins the Party

I knew that I did not want to portray Autolycus as a dirty, trinket-pandering pick pocket or as an abrasive fop in a world of creatives. I needed to find a way to mesh him seamlessly into the art gallery scene, and I knew that Autolycus would have no reason to be present at Perdita’s art gallery opening if he wasn’t serving some purpose. He is the only character in the show who sings songs, so I thought of what a modern version of a troubadour would be.

Autolycus is the DJ for the festivities. When he first enters the stage he will have a big pair of headphones on, singing the words to his first song. The audience will be hearing the music of the song, as if they were inside Autolycus’ ears. His subsequent songs will be prerecorded as the ambient music of the special event.

He has fun little speeches when he is describing the trinkets he has and songs he knows to Clown, Mopsa, and Dorcas. Now, I could have chosen to have them all looking through his trendy messenger bag and flipping through his music library, but that was not exciting enough for me. His wares and songs are drugs. He gets his victims so high and involved in trance music that they wouldn’t know they were being robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment